Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Red Riding Hood [Review]

Movie poster
Last Sunday I went to see Red Riding Hood at a 3-story theater in San Francisco. I went because not only did I want to see it, my mom wanted to see it as well. What a mistake that was.
May contain hints because I don't think it can be considered as a spoiler. Read at your own risk.



First of all, the movie was great. The plot, action, picture, it was all really good. The storyline was fresh; I especially enjoyed it because of the way the original fairytale was incorporated. The promo I watched didn't say so much about the movie and the direction it was going to take, but it pretty much gave me the main idea. The movie as a whole was fantastic and mesmerizing. I liked watching the villagers run around suspecting everyone of being the wolf.


Another note is, the movie really took advantage of the fact that this generation is obsessed with vampires and werewolves. And their strategy worked, for the most part, because it gave the story a sense of mystery and suspense as to who could be the wolf. 
Another poster!
I noticed another trick: the way the director gives you all the little hints as to who the wolf might be. In reality, however, the wolf is really not among the people you suspect. When I finally saw who the wolf was, I asked myself, "Who would have suspected that?" because it's so out there.The person was barely in the movie and there were no hints given about his/her true identity.


Why was it a mistake to bring my mother? Well, even though I knew there was going to be some kissing in the movie, I knew there wasn't going to be too big of a problem with my mom since the movie was PG-13. (You know how awkward it can be.) Unfortunately, there was a scene that went a little farther than that and my mom overreacted (as usual) and literally tried to cover my eyes. As a result, I missed a line of dialog and probably disturbed some other fellow movie watchers with, "It's only PG-13, I'm 15!"
Anyway, the movie was really good and if you haven't watched it yet, you should. Just don't bring a parent :$
It's 2 hours 'till bedtime; I say watch, don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment