Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Twilight: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011) Review

Breaking Dawn did not disappoint. If anything, it surprised me with elements I did not expect, despite all the hype about it.


Although you probably already know what this movie is about, here's a little background information anyway. In this movie, Bella (Kristen Stewart) finally marries her vampire lover, Edward (Robert Pattinson), and they become unexpected parents. Their lives get even more complicated as they try to protect Bella and their unborn child from threats from the wolf pack (Which includes Taylor Lautner as Jacob).


While watching it, I couldn't help but notice the improvement of the cinematography compared to the first "Twilight" movie. The camerawork  wasn't as cliche and cheesy as the first movie. It was very well planned out, and the lighting was great too. In fact, it was better than Twilight in many ways.


It had great dialogue. None of that overly dramatic stuff we've seen in Twilight. Every piece of the movie was meaningful and well written. 


I like to break the movie up into three main parts: the wedding, the honeymoon, and the birth. As simple as it may be, it still is a little weird that the movie spans over a few months even though I should be used to it by now. I think it's because the scenes are chopped and the only way to sew them together is to say things like "How long has she been back?" "Two weeks". These types of sentences sound like fillers to explain the sudden lapse in time.


You may or may not have seen the various interviews with the cast about this new movie. To sum up, Kristen Stewart always says that she wished both the honeymoon scene and the birth scene showed more overall. Based on what I saw though, it was already pretty intense. I like to picture the movie encased in a PG-13 rating as air is encased in a balloon. Those scenes pushed the PG-13 rating so far that a if little more content was added, it would explode. Nevertheless, I did also wish that the birth scene was more gory. I don't know why, but I really wanted to see Bella cough up blood too. The ending really left me wanting more.


Overall, I give it a A-. It was awesome: surprisingly good, and had great moments.
Photos from IMDB
Trailer:
It's 6 hours 'till bedtime; I say watch, don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment