Tuesday, November 1, 2011

In Time (2011) Review

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to watch In Time since I didn't have school.
Let me just say that this was not my first choice, but I did want to watch it nonetheless. I also had something to think about before watching it and it was what my sister told me: "My friend watched it and said that it was a good concept but it was poorly executed". I'll be the judge of that.
SPOILERS AHEAD


Here is a little background:

This movie stars Justin Timberlake as Will Salas and Amanda Seyfried as Sylvia Weis, both from opposite classes living in a world where time is the currency. Basically, a person stops aging at twenty-five and once that begins, you get one year unless you obtain more time by either working, stealing, or inheriting. In Will's case, he works in a factory with countless other men in zone 12, the poorest zone, while Sylvia lives a careful life in zone 1.
While I do agree with the first part of my sister's friend's statement: that the concept was good, I do not agree however, to the second part: that it was poorly executed.
The idea that time is the currency is so intriguing it makes you want to know more about how people live. This movie does a great job at showing that, with a few exceptions. Some parts where not clear enough and didn't focus enough on the detail.

As for the character's romances and motives, it really isn't clear enough why Sylvia wants to stay with Will and why she wants to overthrow her father's kingdom. Obviously the goal is to distribute time to everybody equally, but I just don't understand why she's helping him do it. I mean, one second, she's a rich girl being kidnapped, the next, she shoots a cop and joins the criminal? I would have liked to see more of their developing relationship.

Another problem for me would be the lack of background information. Even just a little bit more information about Will's father would be helpful to figure out why he's so bent on his plan. I'm not saying we don't get anything, all I'm saying is that what we get is too little and we have to infer too much to figure out the facts.

The technical stuff was okay. I'm not really in expert in that area, and frankly, I don't pay much attention to it unless it is either really amazing or really poor. In this case, all I can say is that it was okay expect for maybe two cool angle shots.

So basically, it was a great and fresh concept, but it just wasn't delivered spectacularly. I give this movie a B-.

Here are a few pictures and the trailer:
Screenshot from the movie "In Time"
Screenshot from the movie "In Time"
Screenshot from the movie "In Time"
It's 8 hours 'till bedtime; I say watch, don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment