Thursday, February 10, 2011

Are there too many clichés?


Today, I was watching TV and I noticed that the family on the show I was watching was familiar. I have never seen the show before, but it was a concept that wasn't new; a wacky younger brother, a smart sarcastic middle sister, and a dim-witted older sister. Not all TV shows are exactly like this but most family television programs usually have at least one of these characters, if not all.


Frankly, I think that is it very unoriginal of the writers of these shows to do this, to include an idea so overused into their show. This idea had become so common that some might consider it a cliché.

Why do people even use clichés? If it is so unoriginal and overused, then why use it? Honestly, I don't find  clichés that are meant to be funny, funny at all. A lot of them are very stereotypical. And many stereotypes aren't funny and can hurt people.

However, not all clichés are bad. Some are traditions and can even be considered "classic". Nonetheless, many people still use clichés in their work, and I think that truly shows how imaginative and creative some people can be.

Can you guess which show I was watching? Comment below with your thoughts on the use of 
 clichés.

It's 5 hours 'till bedtime; I say watch, don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment